Calcium Alginate Dressing 2×2 (10 ct.)
NM5050CAD | HCPCS code: A6196
Calcium Alginate dressings are super-absorbent, non-stick dressings that balance moisture levels, keep wounds clean, and facilitate natural healing. These dressings are comfortable, easy to apply, and especially useful in managing heavily draining wounds.
What is a Calcium Alginate Dressing?
Calcium alginate dressings are non-woven, absorbent dressings made from seaweed. These dressings can hold up to 20 times their weight and are ideal for wounds with moderate to large amounts of drainage.
When the calcium and sodium fibers come into contact with wound drainage, the dressing transforms into a gel consistency that conforms to the shape of the wound bed. This action promotes wound healing by filling “dead space” within the wound and maintaining a moist environment that is optimal for healing.
Calcium Alginate dressings are non-occlusive and non-adherent, allowing for gas and heat exchange at the wound surface while also minimizing trauma and discomfort with dressing changes.
Advantages of Calcium Alginate Dressings
- absorb moderate to large amounts of drainage
- reduce risk of infection by lowering bacterial burden and absorbing debris
- maintain moist environment for natural healing (autolytic debridement)
- non-adherent, resulting in less pain with removal
- appropriate for infected or tunneling wounds
- hemostatic properties, help to stop bleeding
- versatile, can be combined with many other topical agents (i.e. Santyl, Medihoney)
- non-occlusive, allow gas exchange across surface of wound
- some alginate dressings contain silver, a powerful infection-fighting antimicrobial agent
How to Apply Calcium Alginate Dressings
- clean with wound cleanser or saline, pat dry
- for non-infected wounds, cut Calcium Alginate Dressing to fit, and apply directly to wound bed
- for infected wounds, use Silver Calcium Alginate dressing for added antimicrobial benefits
- cover & secure with secondary dressing (i.e. Bordered Foam Dressing, Bordered Gauze Dressing)
- recommended dressing change every 2-3 days, depending on amount of drainage
When Should Calcium Alginate Dressings Be Used?
- wounds with moderate to heavy drainage
- bed sores/pressure ulcers (stages III or IV)
- venous stasis ulcers
- wounds with tunneling/undermining
- infected wounds
- wounds with irregular shape
- traumatic wounds and skin tears
- incisions and dehisced wounds
Considerations for Alginate Dressings
- not indicated for dry or minimally draining wounds
- may be cut to fit size of wound bed to protect healthy tissue surrounding wound
Free Shipping On All Orders Over $75, Always Low $4.99 FedEx Home Delivery For Orders Under $75
Our Products Are Shipped Directly From Our Temperature Controlled FDA Certified Warehouse in the USA.
Support Operation Second Chance
US Physician Owned Small Business.